Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How to make your own FROZEN Liver Pills

A few months ago I was talking to a good friend of mine from the Midwest. She's a bit of nutritional foodie herself! :) We got on the subject of organ meats, specifically ... the liver. I hadn't tried the stuff, not that I'm adverse to liver, I just hadn't had an opportunity to experience it. Truly. I've had the opportunity to try:

- Cow tongue - found it to be kind of grainy.. I can't remember the taste.
- Calamari - love it, the texture mostly and that you eat it with condiments... mmmmm
- Oysters - not a fan of eating something that has a texture similar to that of mushrooms, that and they tasted    like pond water smells. How is that delicious?
- Frog legs - Yes, yes they taste like chicken. They're kind of adorable too. Is that primal of me to say? O.o
- Deer Meat - Yummy, yes have some!

Of course I've had the usual beef, pork, turkey and chicken. We have bear in our freezer at the moment... I'm pretty excited about grilling that up with the husband in the near future too! :)

But back to the liver - I haven't been offered liver as a main dish or even a side dish. I can't tell you if I'd like the taste or not. Having heard of the advantages of eating liver (see more HERE) I decided it was time to go on a grocery store hunt. I struck out at walmart and wegman's, neither seemed to carry liver. Granted, I was looking for a liver that was about the size of my fist I figured, I'd not seen one in real life before okay? ;)

Having struck out during the usual grocery time run (we have a scheduled night for such things :)), I took a detour on the way home from work the other night and went to Whole Foods. I FOUND me some CHICKEN livers! Huzzah! ^-^. I was very excited to have found a liver of something finally - and these livers were from an organic farm! Yay! :)

It's important that the liver you purchase comes from an animal that has not been treated with hormones, just like when you are looking for grade A meat ;) you want grass feed, raised without antibiotics, etc.

If you can't stomach the taste liver or you're afraid to try it, you can still reap the benefits of this vitamin ladened food! How? By making your own liver pills!

See below! :)



Liver Pills

What you'll need: 

- Meat cutting scissors
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet that fits in your freezer

What to do: 

Place a piece of parchment paper over your baking sheet.

Rinse each liver with water, proceed to cut the livers up into pea size pieces. 

Place each piece on the parchment paper making sure they don't touch. 

Once you've exhausted your supply of livers or space on your cookie sheet, then set that pan in the freezer.

Freeze for about an hour or two, once the livers are frozen, collect them from the parchment paper and put them in a freezer safe container and your liver pills are now stocked!

***It's recommended that you freeze the liver for 14 days to ensure all pathogens and parasites are dead.***


I'll admit, I was so excited about making my first batch of liver pills that I immediately tossed one back and followed it with some water. Only to read later on numerous websites about the suggested 14 day freeze before ingesting. Womp, womp. Well folks, I'm happy to report I'm still alive and kicking & I'm quite thankful I purchased the organic chicken livers lol. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment